Day two of driving all day:
We set out from Gillette well-rested (yay best hotel ever!) and ready for another long day. This time with another ambitious goal for the day: Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Did you know Wyoming has red highways?? No, not from roadkill (but there was a lot). It's because clay in Wyoming is red and they use it in the asphalt! (Well actually, I don't know that for sure, but I decided it made sense.) Depending on what direction you're driving and the time of day, it's either more red in front of you or behind you. Pretty cool.
We crossed into South Dakota...
...and headed towards the Badlands. On our way there, we passed through Sturgis, home of the Sturgis biker rally (this year is the 69th anniversary!) We were really excited about passing through Sturgis, but were a little disappointed because besides all the bikers on the highway, we didn't see much. Seriousy though, I've never seen so many bikers in my life as I did in South Dakota. Literally they're everywhere on the highway and then you pass into Minnesota and they're instantly gone (although later in the trip we did see two groups of Hell's Angels on separate occasions... scary but awesome).
But more unbelievable than the number of bikers in South Dakota is the number of bikers in South Dakota that DON'T WEAR HELMETS! What are those people THINKING?!? Clearly they're not because they're driving 80+ mph on the highway with NOTHING. One guy didn't have a helmet OR a shirt. Maybe they prefer the wind-swept look to helmet hair? Those long white ponytails must be beautiful upon arrival to the rallies and the biker bars!
Anyway, Derek was a little hasty with the navigating so we ended up taking the long way around Badlands National Park. It was still scenic, but most of the time we were pretty far away. We didn't go straight through the park until the very end. If we had done the actual "scenic route" we would have gone straight through the park for about 60 miles starting in Wall, SD.
The Badlands were beautiful though. I highly recommend that everyone visit at least once in their life. If you do go, I just ask that you watch out for the plague. We found this cool sign when we pulled over to take some pictures:
So far, I think we managed to avoid catching it. Phew.
Oh yea, and here's some other pics of the Badlands:
Because of our navigational mishap, we missed out on Wall Drug. According to anyone who has ever driven through SD, Wall Drug is strangely fascinating and definitely worth a stop. Apparently they have stuffed jackalopes. I was pretty devastated that we missed it. Oh well, next time.
The rest of South Dakota was really not as bas as everyone makes it out to be... Yes, it's straight, and flat.... but it's not THAT bad. And you can ogle at the bikers with no helmets. Or be terrified of them, like me.
Until next time!...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment